I’m not a fan of coffee. At all. But when hubby and I were in the kitchen late one evening thinking about new ice cream flavors to try (because we do that…a lot…), I’m not sure why I thought of coffee. Coffee with chocolate! So, we came up with our own version of mocha ice cream.
Every spoonful of this ice cream has the perfect balance of coffee and chocolate flavors. Since it’s egg-free, it’s so light and refreshing, perfect for an after-dinner treat. And a little more guilt-free, I like to think… (Since it’s already egg-free, feel free to make the vegan version by using non-dairy milk or cream!)
Coffee and non-coffee drinkers alike will enjoy this one!
Mocha Ice Cream
- 4 cups half-and-half (or non-dairy milk/cream)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons ground instant coffee
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, whisk together the half-and-half and sugar until combined.
- Warm over medium heat until the half-and-half is hot (but not boiling).
- Whisk in the coffee, cocoa powder, and cornstarch.
- Pour through a fine mesh strainer into a large bowl. Cover and freeze for 1 hour (or refrigerate overnight).
- Once completely cold, pour into your ice cream maker, and freeze.
- Pour into a large bowl, and freeze for at least 3 hours, or overnight, before enjoying!