Mud Pie. It’s definitely a classic. Mud Pie ice cream is definitely the best ice cream you’ll have this summer. Seriously.
There’s something so absolutely delicious about this ice cream, it’s hard to explain until you’ve tasted some. You start with a coffee-flavored custard, then once you’ve frozen that into a creamy coffee ice cream, you swirl in chopped Oreos. What you get is coffee cookies and cream ice cream. Mud pie in ice cream form.
Is there anything better than that?
Mud Pie Ice Cream
Makes 1 quart
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups heavy cream*
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee (reduce this to 1 tablespoon for a lighter coffee taste)
- 4 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 15 Oreo cookies, roughly chopped
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, whisk together the milk, heavy cream (or half-and-half, if using) and sugar, and warm until hot (but not boiling).
- Once hot, whisk in the instant coffee until it is completely dissolved.
- Pour about 1 cup of the milk mixture into the lightly beaten egg yolks, whisking constantly until combined.
- Pour the milk-egg mixture back into the saucepan, and cook on low heat, stirring constantly, until it reaches 175° F on a candy thermometer.
- Strain the ice cream custard through a fine sieve into a large bowl, cover the surface of the ice cream base with plastic wrap, and freeze for 1-2 hours (or refrigerate overnight) until very cold.
- Once cold, pour into your ice cream maker and freeze.
- In the last few minutes of freezing, add in the chopped Oreo cookies and continue mixing for a minute or two.
- Pour the ice cream into a container and freeze for at least 3 hours before enjoying!
Original recipe by La Casa de Sweets.