Back to school time is one of my favorite times of the year. I’ve always loved school (one of the reasons I became a teacher!), and once September comes around, I love the fact that school kids and their parents are running around buying new notebooks and pencils, and teachers are busy with their lesson plans. There’s such an exciting feeling in the air, not knowing what the new school year will bring. Unfortunately, it’s also a time for new schedules, running around with after-school activities, homework, and a lot more stress all around.
That’s what these brownies are for. Well, technically they’re oatmeal bars, but when you throw Nutella in there, it’s just easier to call them brownies, right?
Loaded with oats, chocolate hazelnut spread, and chocolate chips, these bars are the perfect treat to end a busy week at school, for you and your kids!
Chocolate Hazelnut Oatmeal Bars
Makes 16 bars
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chocolate hazelnut spread (such as Nutella or JIF)
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350° and grease a 9×9 pan.
- In the bowl of your mixer, on medium speed, combine the melted butter, brown sugar, egg, vanilla extract, and chocolate hazelnut spread.
- On low speed, mix in the flour, oats, baking powder, salt, and chocolate chips until combined.
- Pour the dough into the prepared pan, using a spatula or your hands to spread the dough.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, until the edges are set.
- Cool completely before cutting into bars. Enjoy!
Original recipe by La Casa de Sweets