Here’s the story about these muffins in a nutshell:
We had some bananas. My three year old and I decided we’d make some banana buttermilk muffins. We added chocolate chips, chopped walnuts, and even topped them with extra chocolate chips. We put them in the oven. A few minutes later, my daughter noticed the bananas were still on the counter. Turns out, they were just as good without the bananas. Go figure.
Meet our banana-less Nutty Chocolate Chip Muffins.
Nutty Chocolate Chip Muffins
Makes 12 muffins
- 2 cups flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- 1-1/2 cups chocolate chips, divided
- Pre-heat the oven to 400° and line a muffin tray with liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of your mixer, on medium speed, beat together the eggs, buttermilk, brown sugar, melted butter and vanilla until combined.
- On low speed, add the flour mixture, and mix until combined.
- Add the chopped walnuts and 1 cup of the chocolate chips, and mix on low speed until just combined.
- Divide the batter evenly between the lined muffin cups.
- Top the muffins with the remaining 1/2 cup of chocolate chips.
- Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Let cool before enjoying!
Original recipe by La Casa de Sweets