Mac & Cheese: it’s a classic. It’s creamy and comforting, and fills ya up. It’s even better when you make it with butternut squash. Trust me.
You start off with a traditional mac & cheese recipe: pasta, cheese, milk, and then you add sweet butternut squash. It makes the mac & cheese even creamier, and you get a great hint of sweetness in every bite. Plus, you feel better about eating three bowlfuls of mac & cheese because you know it’s got squash in it…
This recipe marks the beginning of our second annual October Unprocessed! We are so happy and excited to be starting another month of unprocessed, all-natural eating! Are you tired of eating junk food? Looking to change things up a bit, and feel healthier in the process? Are you normally a healthy eater and want to take the next step? I encourage you to head on over to Eating Rules’ site to check out what October Unprocessed is all about!
You can decide how unprocessed you want to go, too. Here are some suggestions:
- Make 1 meal per day in October unprocessed.
- Go unprocessed with your family for 1 whole week this month.
- Go unprocessed every weekend this month.
- Go unprocessed during the week, then enjoy a little splurging during the weekend.
Going unprocessed is pretty easy, plus you’ll feel healthier doing it! Over 5,000 people have already joined this year…wohoo!!
Butternut Squash Mac & Cheese
Makes enough to serve 5-6 as a main dish
- 1 pound pasta, cooked and drained
- 2 cups peeled, cubed butternut squash
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2 cups shredded yellow cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried sage
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- Start by cooking the butternut squash (either by boiling, roasting or microwaving) until it’s fork-tender. Let cool slightly, then puree with an immersion blender until smooth.
- Pre-heat the oven to 375°, and grease a 9×13 baking dish.
- While the oven is pre-heating, make the cheese sauce. Start by melting the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Whisk in the flour until combined.
- Whisk in the half-and-half, cheese, butternut squash puree, salt, pepper, sage and nutmeg. Whisk until smooth and combined.
- Pour the sauce over the cooked pasta, and stir until the pasta noodles are covered with the sauce.
- Transfer the mac & cheese to the 9×13 dish, and sprinkle with the bread crumbs.
- Bake at 375° for 30 minutes. Let cool slightly before enjoying!
Original recipe by La Casa de Sweets
Ye-yeah! I love butternut squash! Perfect recipe for October Unprocessed… love it.
I made this recipe but substituted Acorn squash for the butternut squash…SOOO GOOD!
So glad you liked it!
I’ve been dying to try this…will be making soon!