Nutella, everyone’s favorite chocolate-hazelnut spread. I haven’t come across a single person who isn’t a fan. I don’t know a lot of people who aren’t fans of ice cream, so this is pretty much the best of both worlds, right?
I couldn’t just leave it at that, though. Not that creamy Nutella-flavored ice cream isn’t enough, but I wanted to step up the chocolate and hazelnut flavors, only in a slightly healthier way…so I decided to top off the ice cream with a homemade granola topping. Chocolate and hazelnut granola is healthy in my book…
Ice cream + granola = Nutella goodness
Nutella Ice Cream &
Chocolate Hazelnut Granola Topping
Nutella Ice Cream Ingredients:
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups heavy cream*
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 4 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 cup Nutella
Nutella Ice Cream Instructions:
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, whisk together the milk, heavy cream (or half-and-half, if using) and sugar, and warm until hot (but not boiling).
- Once hot, pour about 1 cup of the milk mixture into the lightly beaten egg yolks, whisking constantly until combined.
- Pour the milk-egg mixture back into the saucepan, and cook on low heat, stirring constantly, until it reaches 175° F on a candy thermometer.
- Strain the ice cream custard through a fine sieve into a large bowl, then whisk in the Nutella until completely dissolved in the ice cream custard.
- Cover the surface of the ice cream base with plastic wrap, and freeze for 1-2 hours (or refrigerate overnight) until very cold.
- Once cold, pour into your ice cream maker and freeze.
- Pour the ice cream into a container and freeze for at least 3 hours before enjoying!
Granola Topping Ingredients:
- 1/2 stick butter, melted and cooled
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips, melted and cooled
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup quick oats
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts
Granola Topping Instructions:
- Preheat the oven to 325° and line a baking sheet with a silpat or parchment paper.
- In the bowl of your mixer, beat the melted butter, melted chocolate chips, honey and sugar on medium speed until combined.
- Add the shredded coconut, oats, salt and chocolate chips, and mix on low until the ingredients are mixed in well.
- Pour the granola mixture onto the lined baking sheet, using your hands or a spatula to spread the mixture around.
- Bake the granola at 325° for 10 minutes, then remove from the oven. Use a spatula to mix in the chopped hazelnuts.
- Return to the oven and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Once done, remove from the oven and use a spatula to break apart the granola.
- Cool completely before adding the granola topping to the ice cream, and enjoy!
*Feel free to substitute half-and-half for any or all of the milk and cream for a lighter version!
Original recipe by La Casa de Sweets
Are you a mind reader? Just last night I used 5 egg whites to make macarons and thought to myself, I need to make ice cream from those yolks. And POOF here you are with this awesome recipe. I’ve never thought of putting granola on ice cream but I see no reason not to, it’s a great addition!
[…] Ice Cream adapted slightly from Le Casa de Sweets. Granola adapted from Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip […]