Meet the cookie I can’t stop eating. Literally. I had to give these cookies away just to stop myself from eating them all in one sitting.
There’s so many things going for this shortbread cookie: fresh orange, mini chocolate chips, and, wait for it…shredded coconut in every bite. All these flavors combine to produce a cookie that’s a cross between a coconut macaroon and a Pepperidge Farm Orange Milano.
Light, buttery and perfectly addictive…
Orange Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookies
Makes 2 dozen cookies
- 1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh orange zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- In the bowl of your mixer, beat together the butter, powdered sugar and orange zest on medium speed until combined.
- Beat in the orange juice.
- On low speed, gradually add the flour, coconut and pinch of salt. Mix on medium speed until well-combined, about 2 minutes.
- Reduce the speed to low, and mix in the chocolate chips.
- Transfer the cookie dough to a piece of parchment paper, and use your hands to form the dough into a rectangle-shaped log.
- Wrap the cookie dough log in the parchment paper, then freeze for 1 hour.
- Once frozen, preheat the oven to 325° and use a sharp knife to cut the log into 24 cookies.
- Place the cookies on a lined baking sheet, and bake the cookies at 325° until lightly golden brown, about 20 minutes, rotating the cookie sheets halfway through.
- Cool the cookies completely before enjoying!
Original recipe by La Casa de Sweets
These look wonderful! I love the addition of coconut to the shortbread.
Ooh, your shortbread looks so delicious! It sounds lovely too, love the orange and chocolate chip combination!
Great write-up about you and your blog in @HowardMagazine! It’s much prettier in print than on the web, but great write-up in any case – http://bsun.md/18JDXlw
I intend on making this recipe. Looks relatively simple and yummy. Shredded coconut? It’s a must! Stomach is growling. 😀
Perfect Father’s Day gift to go with his book. Could you give me an idea of about how thick the cookies slices are? Thanks.
Hi Robby! The thickness of the cookies is entirely up to you! I’d stick with either 1/4 to 1/2 an inch thick 🙂