I have to say my favorite all-time cookie has to be a warm, soft and chewy chocolate chip cookie. There’s just nothing like it. As Father’s Day approaches, I’ve been trying to come up with a new version of a chocolate cookie that’s perfect for dads. Nothing too fancy or too sweet, just a great chocolate chip cookie with a bit of something else thrown in there.
The other night, as I lay awake thanks to my insomnia, I kept thinking about what to add to my chocolate chip cookies that would make dads happy. I thought, and thought, and thought some more. And then, like lightning, it hit me: dads love PRETZELS. And, just like that, I had a new cookie to make.
So my daughter and I began our quest to make the perfect chocolate chip pretzel cookie (for pics of our baking adventures, be sure to follow me on instagram). Soft, chewy cookies with delightful mini chocolate chips and salty crushed pretzels in every bite. Perfect for dads, grandpas, uncles, neighbors…and all the women in their lives.
So, really it’s thanks to my insomnia that you’ve got a great new cookie to try. Let’s see what other new ideas my brain cooks up while I can’t sleep…
In the meantime, Happy Fathers Day to all the special guys in your life!
*P.S. Some of you might note that this recipe doesn’t include eggs. That is not a typo. We played around with different things, and discovered we just didn’t need eggs to make these cookies! So, for all my dairy/egg-free dads out there, I’ve included the ingredients (vegan margarine, coconut milk) needed to make the vegan version.
Chocolate Chip Pretzel Cookies
Makes 28-30 cookies
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 2 sticks unsalted butter (or vegan margarine), at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons milk (regular or coconut milk)
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup crushed pretzels
- Preheat the oven to 375°, and line baking sheets with parchment paper or silpats.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, use a wooden spoon or spatula to combine the butter/margarine with the two sugars until well-combined.
- Stir in the vanilla extract.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the 2 tablespoons of milk with the cornstarch, until the cornstarch has dissolved. Add that to the butter-sugar mixture, stirring until combined.
- Add the flour mixture, and stir until well-combined.
- Stir in the mini chocolate chips and the crushed pretzels.
- Use a small ice cream scoop to measure out the cookie dough onto the lined baking sheets, keeping the cookies about 2 inches apart (I usually bake 9-12 cookies per sheet).
- Bake at 375° for 9-10 minutes, until the cookies are slightly set with slightly golden edges.
- Cool on a rack before enjoying!
An original La Casa de Sweets recipe