I don’t know about you, but when summertime arrives, and the temp starts getting into the 90s, what I want most of all from a dessert is a light, cool, refreshing taste. This Lime Mousse Cheesecake is all kinds of light and refreshing.
It starts with a golden, buttery graham cracker crust. Next, you whip up the filling: tons of lime zest, sugar, lime juice, and cream cheese. Oh yum. Add a tub of Cool Whip to make it light and fluffy, and you’ve got yourself a lime mousse cheesecake! Every bite is smooth, cold, and bursting with lime!
The best part of all: you don’t even need to bake it. Pop it into the freezer, and have a slice whenever you’re in the mood for a lime explosion in your mouth.
Lime explosion = happy summer
Lime Mousse Cheesecake
- 1-1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs (plus more for garnish, if desired)
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- Zest of 3 limes
- Juice of 3 limes
- 16 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
- 8 oz. Cool Whip, thawed (plus more for topping, if desired)
- Grease a 9-inch round springform pan, and set aside. (Note: if you don’t have a springform pan, use a 9-inch pie dish.)
- In a medium-size bowl, stir together the graham cracker crumbs and melted butter. Pour the crust into the greased springform pan, and use your hands to press the crust into the bottom and slightly up the sides of the pan.
- Bake the crust at 350° for 6-8 minutes, then remove from the oven to cool while you make the mousse filling. (Baking the crust is not necessary, but the cheesecake will taste a lot better with a crunchier crust.)
- To make the mousse cheesecake filling: combine the sugar and lime zest in the bowl of your standing mixer, and with the whisk attachment, whisk together the sugar and lime zest for 1 minute at medium speed, so the lime zest releases more flavor.
- Whisk in the lime juice and cream cheese, and beat until completely incorporated, about 2 minutes.
- Add in the Cool Whip, and whisk on low speed until the filling is completely mixed together.
- Pour the filling in to the pan, spreading it with a spatula to cover the graham cracker crust. Cover with 1 cup of additional Cool Whip (optional) and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of graham cracker crumbs.
- Freeze for at least 1 hour before enjoying! (You can also refrigerate the cheesecake for a creamier texture.)
Original recipe by La Casa de Sweets